Skip to main content

Staying Inside for Black Friday? Me too

I didn’t miss a single thing but the overpriced latte

The cherished tradition of Black Friday shopping has long been a cornerstone of our family’s holiday festivities. However, this year marked a departure from the norm, as the gals in our family found themselves geographically dispersed, each celebrating in their own way. 

Personally, I opted for a more relaxed approach, spending the day comfortably warm in my favorite pajamas, immersing myself in the heartwarming world of Hallmark movies. This departure from the customary hustle and bustle not only inspired the writing of this article but also sparked the idea of transforming this break from tradition into a standing, more serene, holiday ritual.

As I navigated through the day, the absence of the typically frenzied Black Friday experience allowed me to reflect on the evolving nature of holiday celebrations. I think back to the emerging online trends like “Christmas in July” and my participation in Hallmark’s annual summer ornament drop.

The once confined practice of holiday shopping in the frenetic weeks leading up to December has now found a home in various corners of the calendar year. This shift towards a more extended and deliberate approach to holiday preparations has seamlessly woven itself into the fabric of my personal space, removing any real need for Post-Thanksgiving retail racing.

For me, the chaosof holiday shopping is characterized by bustling crowds, traffic snarls, and the overwhelming commercialized frenzy in every corner. This feels disconcerting as a practice, even though we put ourselves through the fuss of going to bed early and waking up even earlier, to participate in. The winter break, traditionally a period of respite from the demands of everyday life, provides a unique opportunity to step back from the routine and take part in the simple, more quiet pleasures of the season. (This year I have made time for a little bit of leisure baking, borrowing a heirloom apple pie recipe from a friend.) Adding the stress of last-minute, high-stakes shopping into the mix seemed counterintuitive to the essence of this invaluable period of rest and self-time. After all, we work all year long, why not reward ourselves in a way that serves us to our best care?

mood ^

In a previous article, I shared my perspective on the preciousness of time, highlighting it as perhaps our most prized luxury. This year’s deviation from my customary routine of racing from store to store in pursuit of the best holiday deals has left me not only well-rested but also fully immersed in the warm glow of holiday spirits. The newfound leisure and unstructured time have allowed me to savor the season more deeply, trading the chaos of in-store shopping for the comfort of scrolling through virtual shelves, all while enjoying a self-curated, half-fancy latte.

In embracing this shift, I’ve come to appreciate the joy of spreading out the holiday preparations over time, cultivating a more intentional and mindful approach. The absence of Black Friday madness has gifted me the space to savor the holiday season at my own pace, forging a connection with the festivities that goes beyond the materialistic rush. As I sip my self-crafted latte and browse through online stores, I find a renewed sense of appreciation for the simple pleasures of the season, unencumbered by the stress and chaos that often accompany the traditional holiday shopping experience.

As I continue to revel in the warmth of the season, surrounded by the comforts of home and the gentle glow of holiday lights, I peacefully browse Athropologie from my laptop. I can’t complain. This year’s departure from the usual Black Friday frenzy has not only redefined my holiday traditions but has also inspired a shift towards a more tranquil and thoughtful celebration. To enjoy what I love, how I love to. I wrote this to encourage you to follow your own traditions as well, whether that be immersing yourself in the retail therapeutic world, or into your own world, from anywhere you find yourself wanting to be. 

Cheers.

Gilded Flavors

#blackFriday #millennialThoughts #softLiving